Sunday, September 28, 2014

OH NO! Tell Me it Still Works!

I dropped my phone the other day.  I was trying to read a text in the garage and I dropped it on the concrete floor.  I have done this before, many times; the skin of the phone is dinged, scratched and marred.  It has lost all of its' port covers and will not accept a memory card, but it is a terrific phone.

People laugh at me whe I show them my phone.  It can get the internet, I can watch TV on it, it texts, accepts voice commands, takes photos and video.  It is a marvel of engineering and extremely durable; until this recent drop.

There is a bat-wing shaped black blob at the top of my screen followed by a fascinating series of arcing cracks in the glass.  The cracks are on the interior of the screen; the exterior glass of the screen is smooth as ever.  I can still do everything, but once in a while, something seems to go amiss.

I need a new battery, which fortunately, I can get for a couple of dollars on Amazon (yes you sad Smart Phone users I can replace the battery).  I know a need a new one because the charge only lasts a few hours instead of a few days.

By now you are beginning to realize that I have a special phone.  It makes me feel like I am in Star Trek, because it flips open and I can almost talk to Scotty on it.  One day I am sure to answer it "Beam me up Scotty."  I do no have to enter a code or slide an imaginary bar to receive a call, I open it, as I do to dial.  I do not pay for data use because I opt to not pay for data,; I can do that.  I do not pay for insurance because I do not need insurance and I do not have a contract, haven't for years.

My phone is a 2006 LGVX8300 and it still woks beautifully, except for that bat, those cracks and half a text message the other day - but that may have been a glitch in the system. One day however, I know that I will have to replace my phone and I dread that day.
https://www.cellularcountry.com/manufacturers-lg-c-60_134_136_199/lg-vx8300-camera-phone-bluetooth-for-verizon-p-10165


I do not want to learn a new phone, or lose the history I have with this one.  I got it just before our first trip to Disney.  I carried everywhere while I waited for the call from the Transplant Center at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. I received at least eight of the calls from the transplant center on it (it took twelve tries and several years to finally get the transplant so my  phone and I were very close for a long time).  I received endless support from friends and family over the same phone. It went with me on all our college visits and delivery trips to the chosen schools.  It is a part of my life and it is old. In phone years it is Methuselah; I respect that.

New phones come and go and are built to expire.  Mine was built to last.  My children's phones, which I bought at the same time, were both stolen; they were worth stealing at the time.  By today's standards it is no longer valuable, but loyalty and experience tell me otherwise.

May my little flip live on with its' resident bat, lest I line up to purchase a brick with no soul, but lots of toys.  I know that new flip phones are still available, but if I have to buy new, I will get a phone with a much better camera, even I have some technological lust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.